- You MUST schedule an appointment in advance; we are unable to take walk ins. To schedule the appointment, please call staff at (302) 571-0111 or (888) DHA-SPAY.
- We will give you a reminder call the day before your appointment. If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please call us to cancel or reschedule so that we can give your spot to someone else.
- Surgery takes place at our location at 701 A Street, Wilmington, DE 19801. All spay and neuter surgeries at DHA are performed under general anesthesia by a licensed veterinarian. If you need to clarify driving directions to our location, we’ll be happy to assist you in advance. Phones are not answered at the shelter before 11 am!
- Animals should receive NO food or water after midnight the night before their surgery. Please mark your calendar to take away food/water bowls when you go to bed that night.
- Drop off is between 8:30 and 9 am sharp. Please do not bang on the door if you arrive early; no one is available to open it before 8:30 am. If you arrive after 9 am you may miss pre-anesthesia and staff will not be available to check in your animal, so you will have to reschedule.
- Dogs must arrive wearing a collar and leash. The leash will be given back to you when your dog is checked in; please remember to bring it when you come back to pick up your dog. Dogs under 20 pounds may arrive on a leash or in a clean, hard plastic carrier. Please place a towel inside the carrier, but don’t use a favorite one because we may give you one of ours if yours gets messy. If your dog arrives in a carrier, please remove all collars and leave them at home.
- Cats must arrive in a clean, hard plastic carrier. If you do not use the proper type of carrier we will insist that you reschedule the surgery. If you are bringing multiple cats, each one should be in a separate carrier. Please place a towel inside the carrier, but don’t use a favorite one because we may give you one of ours if yours gets messy. Please remove all collars and leave them at home.
- Feral cats must arrive in traps. Please put a towel over the trap for the ride to keep the cat as calm as possible. All ferals are eligible to receive a tattoo or ear tipping identifying them as feral while they are under anesthesia for surgery. There is no additional cost for either of these services.
- Be prepared to present a valid rabies vaccination certificate on the MORNING of the surgery for each scheduled animal, unless the animal will be receiving a rabies vaccine from DHA that day. A valid rabies certificate is one that has been signed/stamped by a veterinarian and includes the veterinarian’s license number. Receipts, invoices, or tags are NOT acceptable proof of vaccination. If your pet cannot receive vaccinations for medical reasons, you must instead provide a signed/stamped letter from a veterinarian stating the conditions that prevent your pet from being vaccinated. If you do not bring the appropriate documentation with you, the scheduled animal(s) will be given a rabies vaccination for $15 each.
- If you are participating in the State of Delaware $20 Spay/Neuter Program, please make sure to bring all necessary paperwork needed to verify your eligibility.
- Pick up time is between 4 and 6 pm the same day. We cannot discharge animals any earlier than 4 pm.
- Payment is taken at time of pick up only. We accept cash, check, VISA, MasterCard, and AMEX.
- You will receive written post-operative instructions when you pick up your pet, which will be reviewed with you by a staff member before you leave. We do not provide follow-up care; any veterinary or other expenses incurred once the animal leaves DHA are your responsibility.
Still Have Questions?
For more information, to schedule an appointment, or if you have questions about DHA’s spay/neuter program, please contact our Client Services staff:
Local Area (302) 571-0111
Toll Free (888) DHA-SPAY (342-7729)
firstname.lastname@example.org (we cannot schedule appointments by email at this time)